20080218

ransom (Matthew 20:20-28)

Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Psalm 139; Matthew 20:20-28



But whoever would be great among you must be your servant,
and whoever would be first among you must be your slave,
even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve,
and to give his life as a ransom for many.
(Matthew 20:26-28)

It seems so "natural" for us to seek the highest place, to want to be in control, or in the know, and in the safe, significant, secure place in power (or for our mothers to want us to be...). It's like James and John and their mother didn't even realize their fellow disciples would naturally be indignant. And again Jesus shows us another way, the kingdom way, the way to life.

"You do not know what you are asking." I hear this passage today guiding our praying as well as our actions; it's as if Jesus is implying, "Know what you are asking. Think about your requests, reflect on them. Filter them through my example, align your intentions with the movement of my life downward in humble service, pattern yourself and your prayers after me."

Jesus' very action in coming not to be served but to serve and giving his life as a ransom is not only what delivers us from eternal death, it is also the model or pattern for us to follow that will set us free. He came to rescue us from our bondage, our servitude to, our self - centeredness, self - absorption, self - exaltation, self - protection. Thanks be to God.


Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts (cares)!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting!
(Psalm 139:23-24)

No comments: