20080219

mercy (Mt 20:29-34)

Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Psalm 140; Matthew 20:29-34


"What do you want me to do for you?"
(Matthew 20:32)

Jesus asks the same question to these two blind men as he asked James and John's mother. In Mark's gospel it's exactly the same (except for the singular / plural distinction). This still intrigues me; I preached about it at my friend Glen Miley's ordination to the diaconate.

"What do you want me to do for you?" Imagine Jesus asking you that!

One request he fulfills and one he does not. The request for sitting at his right and left hand in the kingdom is rebuffed with a lesson about serving instead. The request for sight, by blind men who are being rebuked and passed by, is granted. In fact, initially their plea is for mercy. From the Lord, the son of David - who will sit on the throne ruling...

This healing is an act of mercy, an expression of "hesed" (Hebrew for steadfast love or mercy) which has themes as well of covenant loyalty or faithfulness, and lovingkindness. Jesus is big on mercy in Matthew's gospel. It seems to be a sign, a concrete expression, of faithfulness to God - not in Godward actions but in acts of lovingkindness to people ("I desire mercy, not sacrifice," Matthew 9:13; 12:7).

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy." (Matthew 5:7)

I say to the LORD, You are my God;
give ear to the voice of my pleas for mercy, O LORD!...
I know that the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted,
and will execute justice for the needy.
(Psalm 140:6,12)

No comments: