20080220

meek (Mt 21:1-11)

Thursday, February 21, 2008
Psalm 141; Matthew 21:1-11


"Behold, your king is coming to you,
humble, and mounted on a donkey,
and on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden."
(Matthew 21:5)


Today I notice this word "humble," also translated "gentle" and "meek." I'm sure it is partly because I was just studying the Beatitudes where the first of three occurances in Matthew of this word appears (It's only four times in the New Testament, besides Matthew it's also in 1 Peter 3:4).

"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." (Matthew 5:5)

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:29)


So in Matthew in my English Standard Version Bible we have three different translations for the one word in Greek: humble, meek, and gentle. I like meek, which may even have a sense of powerlessness (even if voluntary).

Once more we have an example of what we have heard Jesus go over and over since chapter 18. Whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first must be your slave. The first will be last and the last first. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Your king is coming to you in meekness. The greatest one is coming in humility, and will win his victory through powerlessness, and display his strength and power and authority through gentleness. This is the ethic of the kingdom, for it is the way of the king.

Thanks be to God.

No comments: