20080208

one (Mt 18:7-14)

Monday, February 11, 2008
Psalm 132; Matthew 18:7-14

[I will be at Manresa, a Jesuit retreat center, on a silent retreat from Sunday till Wednesday afternoon. My posts will be short (written ahead of time and posted by Brooke for me). I would appreciate your prayers.]

It is not the will of my Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.” (v. 14)

Jesus continues here a theme he began in verses 5-6. We can either welcome a little one, or child, or seemingly insignificant person, into the community of life and wholeness, or we can essentially turn him or her out by our sin, false teaching, or even perhaps neglect or apathy (inferred from the story of the lost sheep?) – in which case we actually will find ourselves cast out. But not only are we to not be the cause of someone stumbling or being tempted to sin, secondly, as will become clearer tomorrow, we are to positively to seek out a straying brother or sister in order to help them home.

By the images and metaphors that Jesus employs this is obviously a passionate and seriously important subject for him. When Jesus uses the image of the man with a hundred sheep who searches for the one stray sheep and rejoices over it more than the ninety-nine, he certainly is referring to his ministry, but seems in this context to also be saying that this is our ministry.

See that you do not despise one of these little ones” (v. 10). Relationally, watch your attitude, humble yourself and be a servant – be intensely concerned with the well-being, wholeness, and salvation of your brothers and sisters, as insignificant as they may seem to you. For they are of tremendous significance to your Father in heaven.

Lord Jesus, thank you for your steadfast love for me. Thank you for humbling yourself, for giving up your life to seek me, find me, and rescue me. This same love and sacrifice you made for everyone I meet. Give me grace to walk in this love, as you loved us and gave yourself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

No comments: