20071220

the will of the Father

Friday, December 21, 2007
Psalm 90; Matthew 7:13-23

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."
(Matthew 7:21)

Again, Jesus connects the kingdom with doing the will of the Father in heaven. He taught us to pray,
"Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven..."
(Matthew 6:9-10)

Where God's will is done there is the kingdom. Where the kingdom is, there God's will is being done.

So the important question is... "What is the will of the Father?"

Much of it is revealed right here in the "Sermon on the Mount." And the rest will be told as his story unfolds in the following chapters. We could simplify "God's will" with a concise or simple, focused answer - but I really don't think that's where Jesus would have us go in this. He says the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life. He has said, "Ask, seek, knock." Again, I think this cuts to the heart of discipleship. It has to do with Jesus and the Word of God.

Being a disciple is not about easy answers, or a punch list of religious things to do; and being a "good Christian" may not please God. Being a disciple has to do with looking at and listening to Jesus very carefully (who claimed to rightly interpret the Scriptures), including studying and seeking out those Scriptures. It can be hard, and may mean discarding things we've held on to in order to get through the narrow gate; it takes time and nurture and pruning and fertilizer and rain to become a healthy, fruit bearing tree (ie. patience, discipline, even suffering).

Father in heaven, may your name be blessed and sanctified because of me.
May your kingdom come in greater measure in and through me.
I commit myself again to doing your will, please help me to do so.
Sustain and strengthen me today with your good gifts that I might further your kingdom and fulfill your will.

No comments: