20071227

Lord, I am not worthy

Thursday, December 27, 2007
Psalm 95; Matthew 8:5-13

"Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof, but only say the word, and my servant will be healed."
(Matthew 8:8)

The second miracle or sign that Matthew records in this narrative section is another beautiful one about a Roman (Gentile) soldier who comes and appeals to Jesus on behalf of his paralyzed and suffering servant.

Jesus immediately says, "I will come and heal him." Jesus initiates this here, which I think is rare or perhaps even the only instance he does so; the non-Jewish centurion never actually asks Jesus to come and heal his servant. So we have another instance of compassion and concern, and the first of Jesus ministering to Gentiles (which seems to be a key Matthean theme); of course, the centurion is also expressing compassion for his suffering servant (and another case of one person's faith leading to the healing of another...).

Then is the centurion's stunning response to Jesus, "Lord, I am not worthy... For I too am a man under authority... I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes..." And Jesus marveled at his faith, singling him out for it. He honors him further with the telling of a little parable about being at table with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob, while also giving a severe warning to his unbelieving Jewish brethren.

"Go; let it be done for you as you have believed." (v. 13) He believed that Jesus had authority over disease and suffering, and could could order it away with a word. He humbled himself and put his trust in the power and kingdom authority of Jesus over him and his situation. And that was enough.

I can never read this passage without remembering the prayer in the Roman Catholic Eucharistic liturgy that we prayed immediately before receiving communion:

"Lord, I am not worthy to receive you,
but only say the word and I shall be healed."

I love that, it is so appropriate - and again, a beautiful articulation of faith that marvels and delights Jesus.

Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
let us kneel before the LORD our Maker!
For he is our God,
and we are the people of his pasture,
and the sheep of his hand.
Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts...
(Psalm 95:6-8)

"Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and your servant will be healed. Amen."

No comments: