20071217

what shape and size is your heart?

Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Psalm 89:1-18; Matthew 7:1-6


"with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged,
and with the measure you use it will be measured to you."

(Matthew 6:2)

Jesus is pretty graphic here in talking about relating to others - measures, specks, logs, dogs, what is holy, pigs, pearls..." Luke expands this section a little bit:

"Judge not, and you will not be judged;
condemn not, and you will not be condemned;
forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you.
Good measure, pressed down, shaken together,
running over, will be put into your lap.
For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you."
(Luke 6:37-38)

I haven't read "The Secret" but I've read a little bit about it, and saw a piece on Oprah about it (I admit it). There is some truth in it, and much of it is summed up here. (Hear me, while there's some truth in it, it is not healthy, very incomplete, and caters to our self-centeredness.) But the truth in it is related to this teaching of Jesus. God has established this principle (for his disciples, who have left everything to follow him): give out what you want to receive, and in the measure you want to receive it.

Do you want to be judged or condemned?
Do you want to be blinded by a log-eyed judgmental brother or sister?

It's as if the shape and size of our hearts determine what they can receive back, and that the shape and size is determined by our attitudes and actions towards others. (Or perhaps what goes out from our hearts sets up a kind of magnetic pull for the same in return.) If we shape them in the form of generosity and kindness by acts and attitudes in kind, then generally that's what will return and fill them. Even when condemnation and judgment come calling, there won't be a suitable home for them to dwell there. And if we shape our hearts by continual judging and condemning, hypocritical fault-finding, then even when mercy and grace are offered to us there's no place within that fits it or is receptive. (And also, to continue the image, we only make room to receive by giving away what is filling the space...)

This is an area of weakness for me, even a "moral defect." I am a hard-wired speck finder and a oh-so-natural judger of others and I have been powerless all these years to overcome it - which means following discipleship techniques won't heal me, but only One greater than me can deliver me. But casting myself on his mercy, I cooperate with his Spirit working within me, and must act accordingly for there to be progress.

I do find that I, and the people around me, tend to be happier when I just choose to smile, I'm more joyful when I'm rejoicing, I feel more graced when I'm gracious, that the world is a kinder place when I'm kind, and that people are more forgiving when I'm forgiving...

Lord, you have graced us with so much, simply in turning to you. Shine your face on us and renew our hearts, that we might share what you have so freely given - and that you might continue to pour out your grace richly upon us.

No comments: