20071226

if you will, you can

Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Psalm 94; Matthew 8:1-4

"Lord, if you will, you can make me clean."
(Matthew 8:2)

Matthew begins the next section of his gospel with this beautiful story. We have just been clued to the end of the first section by the phrase he will use five times to conclude a section of narrative followed by didactic teaching: "And when Jesus finished these sayings, the crowds were astonished at his teaching..." (7:28) He now begins a narrative section of 10 miracles by recounting the compassion and healing power of Jesus.

"If you will, you can..." This simple prayer is profound. On the one hand, of course God is willing. It is his will to heal and restore. We see this plainly in Jesus' life and ministry. Not only that we know God is compassionate as well as willing. Jesus touches this man. He not only moves toward him, but touches the unclean man and says, "I will, be clean." This is an account of physical healing, but also of a social outcast with serious relational strain at best, but most likely with severe emotional and relational brokenness.

The question we face, and which we must offer up in submission to God, is that of timing. "If it is your will to heal me now, I believe you can heal me now." And even this does not clarify it adequately. For in his compassion and saving love, it is his will. Period. But our situation finds it's place in a much bigger scheme, which we also call God's will. And herein is the mystery. God heals now, but not everyone. God will heal everyone, but not now.

Still, the leper gives us a beautiful example of prayer, understanding and perspective for a disciple. Again, note that we are speaking of more than just the renewal of physical brokenness here, but also emotional and relational brokenness.

We ought to come to Jesus, and bow our hearts and even kneel before him, and humbly, and faith-fully pray "Lord, if you will, you can heal me." Jesus himself models this in the garden of Gethsemene when he prays "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will." (Matthew 26:39)

Entrusting ourselves to God in Christ is enough. Drawing near to Jesus in faith and worship is enough. He will extend compassion and mercy, and in some manner will touch us - and whether or not it is his will that we be physically restored and whole before heaven, his presence, his touch, his love will be the better part of what we seek and sustain us until we are wholly restored, body, soul, and spirit in the fullness of his kingdom.

If the LORD had not been my help,
my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence.
When I thought, "My foot slips,"
your steadfast love, O LORD, held me up.
When the cares of my heart are many,
your consolations cheer my soul.
(Psalm 94:17-19)

No comments: