20071108

they shall be mine

November 8, 2007: Psalm 56; Leviticus 3


"Behold, I have taken the Levites from among the people of Israel instead of every firstborn who opens the womb among the people of Israel."
(Leviticus 3:12)

The Levites were given to Aaron and his sons to guard the priesthood, as they minister at the tabernacle, and to guard all the furnishings of the tent of meeting (vs.7-10). The Levites were the tribe of Levi, one of Jacob's sons and Moses' family. The whole tribe is set apart for this ministry. (cf. Exodus 33:25-29)


"The Levites shall be mine, for all the firstborn are mine. On the day that I struck down all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, I consecrated for my own all the firstborn in Israel, both of man and of beast. They shall be mine: I am the LORD."
(v. 12-13)

What I'm struck by today is this thought that God takes the Levites as the devoted or consecrated firstborn, "instead of every firstborn who opens the womb among the people of Israel". This principle was established back in Exodus 13:12-16, before the people of Israel even got to the Red Sea. Instead, the firstborn are to be "redeemed". God lays claim to all the firstborn in Israel, they were actually consecrated (set apart, made holy) for his own that night in Egypt when he delivered them by killing all the firstborn in Egypt. Even though they killed a Passover lamb and sprinkled the blood on the doorposts and lintel so that the angel of death would "pass over" God still laid claim to his exclusive ownership and use of all firstborn. That's interesting to me. It's almost like in remembrance of those who died in Egypt... Or of course, as God often said, it was to remind them of his deliverance - they were to never, ever forget.


Here's my main thought today: just as we give a tenth to the Lord as a "firstfruit" kind of offering, recognizing that all of our income (increase, fruit, harvest...) comes from God and belongs to God, so there is this principle that the first fruit of the womb is dedicated to God or specially redeemed, reminding us that all our children are a gift from the Lord and are the Lord's. So also, this ministry that, in our case, Robert and I and Walt are set apart for can be seen in this same sense. The ministry at the altar is no longer the exclusive responsibility of one family (Levi), it is a matter of calling. But I trust the principle here remains, that though you as a member of COTA are not ordained and set apart by the Spirit to this ordained ministry, we are a sign that indeed all of us are the Lord's possession and all are set apart for his exclusive service and use.

God says they shall be "consecrated for my own" and "they shall be mine." If God is good, and his steadfast love endures forever, then it is an awesome thing to be his!

I must perform my vows to you, O God
I will render thank offerings to you.
For you have delivered my soul from death,
yes, my feet from falling,
that I may walk before God in the light of life.
(Psalm 56:12-13)

No comments: