20071129

Intro to Matthew



Thursday, November 29, 2007: Psalm 73; Matthew

"The book of the genealogy (genesis) of Jesus Christ,
the son of David, the son of Abraham."

(Matthew 1:1)


This Thursday, Friday and Saturday I assigned the whole gospel of Matthew. When studying a book of the Bible it is good to read over the whole book before settling into specific passages. That's not always possible but it is recommended. I hope we can get through Matthew in three or four days. (Each Sunday the readings are from the Lectionary, the same readings we have in church. I do recommend reading them over before you come to church.)

In the first third (or so) of the book their are a number of words or themes that seem to be important to Matthew. Try to note them as you read through the text:
  • who is Jesus (obviously :) )
  • "fulfill" (what the prophet said, or some variation of that)
  • geography; nations or Gentiles (same idea in Greek & Hebrew)
  • "righteousness"; "law"; "commands"; teaching
  • "Father"
  • "kingdom"

Also, when reading the whole book, look for this phrase "When he (or Jesus) finished..." instructing, teaching, these sayings... It's in there five times, and I think it's significant.

Enjoy reading the tax collector's "Discipleship Manual".

Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever...
for me it is good to be near God;
I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,
that I may tell of all your works.
(Psalme 73:25-26,28)

No comments: