20181123

Psalms 3 - 7

Psalms 3-7 - Honest, real life, conversing with God


These 5 psalms all seem similar to me, in their "feel" and as a genre of psalms.  And honestly, generally speaking, it's probably the genre I connect with most readily.

They go back and forth with a seemingly comfortable ease between affirming God's presence and goodness and protection and deliverance, and complaining about circumstances and wondering where God might be and pleading for deliverance.

In the every day of living life, of this journey in the valley of the shadow, these psalms give me words for, and are a good expression of, the complicatedness we experience - of simultaneous pain and joy, good and evil, frustrated complaining and joyful thanksgiving.

These are not laments, per se, but move us in that direction.  And as inspired prayers, found in our Scriptures, I am being encouraged to be honest with God, to give voice to what I am thinking or feeling, or to that of which I am afraid or that over which I am powerless.

I do note in looking at them together that there are several references the term "shield."

Psalm 3:3   But you, O LORD, are a shield about me,
my glory, and the lifter of my head.
Psalm 5:12 For you bless the righteous, O LORD;
you cover him with favor as with a shield.
Psalm 7:10 My shield is with God,
who saves the upright in heart.

Yet, even in coming back to this idea repeatedly, David also expresses pain, concern, frustration and fear - apparently that shield is not there to ward off every thing that could cause distress or pain (either from without, or from within).  But certainly God, as shield or aiding and empowering my shield, ultimately wins the victory, finally will save and deliver me, even through (as with God's Son my Lord and Savior) times that shield seems absent.

I trust that God works with favor towards those he loves, and that salvation was, is, and will be God's intention towards me.  And so, with David, I will remember and affirm, the LORD, my shield.

No comments: