20181114

A healing, prayerful journey through the Psalms



About a dozen of us who are friends and family of my brother, John, who died tragically last month, have begun a healing, prayerful journey through the Psalms together.

Regularly reading/ praying the Psalms gives us words to say to God when we may not know what to say to God, or what we're feeling, or even whether we are permitted to say such things to God.

I have shared that there have been seasons, one long season in particular, when it was difficult for me to read any part of the Bible except the Psalms.  It was a season I felt kind of betrayed by God, a lot of grief, and dealing with a sense of failure.  There I found words, and a posture and an approach that helped stabilize and re-orient me.

Now, I am a believer in reading/ praying at least one psalm every day.  As a priest and pastor I often recommend that to people with I am honored to sit and talk and pray.

Honestly, the psalm may not really resonate with me any given day, though usually there is at least a verse or a phrase that is helpful.  But in daily saying them, there is a rhythm that honors and connects with all of life, the sunny days and the dark, stormy days.

Lastly, for today, I am strengthened to know that I am joining my heart and prayers with a host of other pilgrims throughout history, throughout the world, in heaven and on earth, who have voiced these words, are today, and will tomorrow.  And I'm thankful, and strengthened, and inspired, to be praying and reflecting on them with our little tribe of a dozen or so family and friends of John Fisher Di Cristina.

No comments: