20090407

how life comes

Tuesday of Holy Week, April 7, 2009

[If I haven't heard from you that you read this blog, or visit it, I'd like to hear from you. It's meaningful to me, and helpful, but I'm evaluating whether I'll keep doing it after Lent. I'd especially like to hear from Church of the Apostles people. Thanks. markjdicristina@yahoo.com]

Jer. 15:10-21; Phil. 3:15-21; John 12:20-26

20 Now among those who went up to worship at the feast were some Greeks. 21 So these came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and asked him, “Sir, we wish to see Jesus.” 22 Philip went and told Andrew; Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus. 23 And Jesus answered them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25 Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him. (John 12)

Jesus seems to say here to these God-fearing Greeks who evidence by their question that the Father is drawing them to him (6:44) that you will see me, you will see me glorified when I am lifted up and draw you to myself. I preached on this two weeks ago, and am still feeling moved by the whole thing.

Immediately Jesus speaks about his "glorification." And he also ties it in with following him (ie. this is true for me, and if you follow me, it's true for you...). He says that life, God's life, real life, comes through (1) death, (2) rightly ordered love, and (3) service.

He displays these in his own life and in his own death. As we look to him in honor, in awe, in gratitude, in brokenness, may God give us grace to (1) die to ourselves, to break that hardened shell we so often cultivate around our hearts, (2) set love in order, to love God above all things simply for the sake of himself, and love all other created things appropriately for his sake, and (3) to give ourselves in service as servants of all.

This is beautifully exemplified for us in the events we commemorate this week.

Thanks be to God.

No comments: