20090411

God rested from all his work

Holy Saturday, April 11, 2009



Job 19:21-27a; Heb. 4:1-16 (morning); Rom. 8:1-11 (evening)

4 For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works.” (Hebrews 4)

Brooke and I have been enjoying a Tim Keller sermon on "Work and Rest" (Redeemer Presbyterian Church, free sermons), I commend it to you.

Another amazing thought with regard to Sabbath ("ceasing," "rest") is that Jesus himself most fully rested on this day, the seventh day, the Sabbath, in Joseph of Arimethea's tomb. There could be nothing more added to this rest. He laid down, as it were, absolutely and completely, trusting in his Father to wake him up. There was no more work he could possibly do, it was finished; he had expended himself, he had poured out his lifeblood to the uttermost and his powerlessness was perfect.

Jesus sanctified this day by his lying in death. He rested from all his works.

Therefore, so can we - who trust in him... "whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his." (Hebrews 4:10)

+ + +

25 For I know that my Redeemer lives,
and at the last he will stand upon the earth.
26 And after my skin has been thus destroyed,
yet in my flesh I shall see God,
27 whom I shall see for myself,
and my eyes shall behold, and not another.
(Job 19)

No comments: