20090213

godliness and power

Friday, February 13, 2009

Isaiah 61:1-9; 2 Timothy 3; Mark 10:32-45


But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2 For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, 4 treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.
(2 Tim. 3:1-5)

Avoid such people, and avoiding being such a person...

Yes, all the Scriptures today are profound and beautiful and inspiring (including the second part of the 2 Timothy reading). But what stirs me this morning is the phrase "having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power," because at least twice recently someone has mentioned it. I think the RSV read, "holding the form of religion, but denying its power."

Our "religion," or "godliness," or "piety" has as its aim several purposes: first and foremost being to offer to God the honor due his Name, to worship in the beauty of holiness because of his "worthship," but also precisely to do so in a genuine, humble, transforming way that gives space for a connection with God in Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. It is not to manipulate the power, but to connect with the God of all glory, blessing, and power, in such a way that my life is being transformed into the likeness of Jesus Christ.

Simply illustrated - to so pray, day by day, the Lord's prayer that I am living it. To "intend" what I pray. To pray it but offer my heart, thoughts, actions, life to be the prayer. That I truly sanctify God in my daily actions and words, that I live in and advance his kingdom and do his will as seen in Jesus, that I truly trust in God and am truly grateful to God for daily bread, that I indeed live a life of forgiveness no matter how grievously I am sinned against...

Or maybe more simply illustrated - to so continually offer up the Jesus breath prayer ("Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me") that my attitude and demeanor are characterized by gentleness, brokenness, and humility and not pride, over-confidence, and arrogance.

Jesus criticized the Pharisees in the words of Isaiah, "This people worships me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me." To structure one's life around forms of godliness / piety in such a way that my deep heart is open and accessible to the fire and goodness and mercy and majesty of God, to the power of the Spirit of God - I think this is what Paul is implying what's needed by the saints in the "last days."

I think it was C.S. Lewis who said we pray, not to change God, but that we might change...

No comments: