20090205

faith working

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Daily Office Bible readings, ESV

Isa. 55:1-13; Gal. 5:1-15; Mark 8:27-9:1

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love. (Galatians 5:6)

For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. (Mark 8:35)

O the many ways I seek to save or preserve my life. Little manipulations, ways of thinking or posturing myself (even if only in my own heart or mind), my contributions to secure myself and help God do what I don't really trust him to do. In the midst of trying to live a "Christian life," is it truly possible to lose one's life?

The language Paul uses in Galatians 5 says that the only thing that "works," the only thing of any avail (RSV), with any strength to acount for anything of value, is faith through love. Faith working through love. Later he will say that the "flesh" working produces all kinds of evil, but here he says that faith working is freedom, and faith at work in love, faith working itself out through love, is all that matters, all that can bring about life, love, joy, and peace...

That which is of me, which is my way, my seizing control, my having to secure my soul, save my life, is ultimately rotten and deadly. That which is of the Spirit, of an abandonment to the love of God in Jesus Christ, of a radical devotion to him who gave himself for us and our salvation, in this letting go and trusting, is security and life and peace, and salvation.

"Jesus, reduce me to love..."

No comments: