20090117

strength to receive love

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Psalm 116, 117; Isaiah 43:1-13; Ephesians 3:14-21; Matthew 2:23-3:6


you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you (Isaiah 43:4)

This whole section of Isaiah is wonderful, I just couldn't pass this verse up this week of "You are my beloved..."

(1) “Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine...
(3) For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior...
bring my sons from afar
and my daughters from the end of the earth,
(7) everyone who is called by my name,
whom I created for my glory,
whom I formed and made.”

Paul's prayer is that the Ephesians would be rooted and grounded in love, and have strength to comprehend the unknowable love of Christ. Isn't that interesting? We need strength to know God's love in Christ - to know that love roots and grounds a person securely. To know the enormity of it actually fills one with the fulness of God himself. But it takes a degree of courage and strength (and faith) that no human being naturally possesses. Is Paul saying that unless God helps us we can't even receive his love? Or maybe the very the receiving of the love is the strengthening itself? Or we need strength to admit we're weak, which definitely is not the human default position?

Even our gospel shows Jesus' treasuring people over the people's interpretations of his Father's Word. The Sabbath was not made for the withering , weakening, or malnourishment of God's beloved people, but for their flourishing, wholeness and beautification. Thanks be to God.

12 What shall I render to the Lord
for all his benefits to me?
13 I will lift up the cup of salvation
and call on the name of the Lord,
14 I will pay my vows to the Lord
in the presence of all his people.
(Psalm 116)

No comments: