20090127

families and offenses

January 27, 2009

Daily Office readings, ESV


You know, some days nothing in your devotions particularly grabs you, or speaks to you - it is kind of hard work, or a discipline. Today's like that for me. I may be distracted, getting ready to leave for Atlanta today to see my son, Mark, and his beautiful wife and daughter, Monica and Lily. Then tomorrow I'll be going on to the Anglican Mission in the Americas (AMiA) Winter Conference in Greensboro, NC. I have a little anxiety about being at the conference due to being disconnected after resigning from my AMiA church 4 years ago, due to having concerns about what is emphasized and what seems neglected especially at these big gatherings, and just due to my own frustration, failure, anger, bitterness and cynicism that is all mixed in with my relationship to this "family" or "tribe ."

The thought I have as I let these Scriptures sit with me, as I let them mull around inside, exploring thoughts and feelings (even as I'm honest about why I may not be getting anything from them...), has to do with the themes of families, tribes, communities uniting or dividing around the good news of the kingdom, and of our freedom in Christ. Paul is absolutely alienated from his true family because of his past and his reputation. And even amidst the reconciliation there are those seeking to infiltrate and undermine their freedom in Christ. They were able to see and embrace a couple of different paths they'd be taking and honor each other in two different expressions and applications of the gospel (to the Gentiles and to the Jews).

Jesus, on the other hand, comes to his hometown, his own people who knew him and watched him grow up, and is teaching and doing some mighty works (though that may just be a report they are mulling over - "How are such mighty works done by his hand?"). And they take offense. For some reason they can't get past their natural, familial connection with Jesus enough to be awed or even to fear him, let alone humble themselves and repent and follow him.

One group moves from offense to unity and fellowship in Christ, the other from being fellow Nazarenes to taking offense. As I visit with Mark and Monica and Lily, and much moreso as I go to fellowship with my AMiA "tribe" - I pray that I will seek and find those places to be united in our freedom in Christ (it is for freedom Christ has set us free), and be tenacious in watching out for my heart taking offense at things not central to our unity and fellowship in Christ (my bent toward arrogance and being right is of concern here).

Even more dangerous to watch out for, I think, is taking offense (like those in Nazareth) over what and who is central to this life and freedom in the kingdom; that is, over the presence of the king himself working freedom in his children, advancing his upside -down kingdom, turning the tables and exposing my value systems and the honor & power structures of my heart. I choose you, Lord Jesus, today. I honor you for your humility, and poverty, and emptiness, and submission, and graciousness, and generosity. Be formed a little bit more in me today.

No comments: