20080509

a new covenant (Jer. 31:31-34)

Friday, May 9, 2008
Jeremiah 31:27-34


"And I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts."
(Jeremiah 31:33)

This prophecy by Jeremiah is amazing and may be my favorite Old Testament description and promise of what God says he will do. He will make "a new covenant," some have said a "renewed" covenant. The "law" is still important and valid, but will come not on tablets of stone or words accompanied by thunder and lightning, with a cloud and quaking. But God will write it on our hearts, we will know the Lord, we will be forgiven - no more sin it seems to be saying.

Leading up to this promise is God's promise of restoration, of bring the people of Israel back to the land, out of their bondage, those scattered will be gathered, mourning will be turned to joy - all because
I have loved you with an everlasting love;
therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.
(v. 3)
I guess a really honest reflection on this promise of a new covenant of a new heart from the perspective of following Jesus for about 34 years, softened to God's love and unconditional acceptance experienced through trusting God, is that I think I'm on the way, but this promise is not fully and finally come true. That new heart is in me, for sure - but in part, perhaps as sprouting seed but not as a secure, mature fruit-bearing tree. There is still an old heart, an old way that is untrusting, insecure, posturing, and fearful. A part of me that doesn't really know the Lord, and needs to be taught by my neighbor and brother... I believe that one day, in the new heavens and the new earth, the new creation (including me) will be completely new.

As Dallas Willard writes:
A time will come in human history when human beings will follow the Ten Commandments and so on as regularly as they now fall to the ground when they step off a roof..." (The Divine Conspiracy, p. 142)

The epistle reading today is Ephesians 5:1-21, which continues Paul's call for us to "put off" the old man, and "put on" the new man, and to be being filled with the Holy Spirit. To walk in the light since we are light, in the Lord. This is that baptized life. Die again to what kills, live again to what gives life...

Back to everlasting love and faithfulness. Back to God's deliverance as a sheer act of grace. Back to the restoration of what was crushed, broken, scattered because of the action of God motivated by the goodness, faithfulness, and steadfast love of the Lord. The more I believe and trust that, the more I know God's laws, God's ways, God's likeness, from deep within me.

I believe, help my unbelief.
Create in me a new heart, O God.
Keep me in and fill me with your presence.
Restore me to the joy of your salvation.
Sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
Amen.

No comments: