20080403

trusting, submitting (1 Peter 2:11-25)

Thursday, April 3, 2008
Psalm 18:1-20; 1 Peter 2:11-25


It seems like Peter now gets into his particular reason(s) for writing this first epistle. Just a thought or two for now - I hope to share a little bit more later in the day. And I think I'm preaching on this passage a week from Sunday.

For the third time Peter mentions "exile" as a context for those to whom he writes. Again he urges them (us) to keep our conduct honorable, doing good deeds that God may be glorified, and no one may be able to speak against us. This is the very idea of "hallowed be thy name." That our conduct would not profane the name of the Lord among the nations (Ezekiel 36:19-23; 38:23). "Doing good" not only will bring glory to God on the day of visitation, it will "silence the ignorance of foolish people," for this is the will of God (v.15).

He specifically now addresses a very specific area of conduct: "Be subject for the Lord's sake," (vs. 13,18) to human every institution, including servants to their masters (and in ch. 3 of husbands and wives). He then grounds this call to submission, or being subject, or subordination, in the example of Jesus, who "entrusted himself to him who judges justly" (v.23).

I love you, O LORD, my strength.
The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised,
and I am saved from my enemies...
In my distress I called upon the LORD;
to my God I cried for help.
From his temple he heard my voice,
and my cry to him reached his ears...
He sent from on high, he took me;
he drew me out of many waters.
He rescued me from my strong enemy
and from those who hated me,
for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me i the day of my calamity,
but the LORD was my support.
He brought me out into a broad place;
he rescued me, because he delighted in me.
(Psalm 18:1-20)

No comments: