20080402

chosen (1 Peter 2:1-10)

Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Psalm 119:1-24; 1 Peter 2:1-10

“But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.”
(1 Peter 2:9)

This theme of being chosen continues in these verses. Peter begins by continuing with the image of new birth, to long for pure spiritual milk (tasting the goodness of the Lord), and, simply, the call to “grow up to salvation” – evidenced by our conduct.

But then he turns to this image of being built into a spiritual house, a temple, and of being a holy priesthood. We have come to Jesus, rejected by men by chosen and precious to God. And we ourselves are chosen by God.

The immediate reference for Peter here seems to be Israel coming to Mount Sinai and God saying,
“I bore you up on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine; and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.” (Exodus 19:5-6)
It is indeed wonderful that we have been called out of darkness into his marvelous light, out of bondage to the world, flesh and the devil into the freedom of the Spirit, out of slavery of sin to the glorious liberty of the sons of God. This being chosen is not, however, what we proclaim, nor boast in, as if it had anything to do this our righteousness or goodness or just desserts.

What we proclaim are “the excellencies of him” who called us. One of God's excellencies is indeed that he chooses, and not only that, but redeems, and regenerates us also, prior to any initiative of our own. It is one of God's attributes we ought to celebrate and declare. However, in this context it seems Peter is implying that we proclaim it particularly in our conduct (vs.1, 11), including how we relate as members one of another. This is consistent with Matthew 5:16, "let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."

“Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing… By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love… This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.” (John 15)

No comments: