20080128

our keeper (Mt 14:22-36)

Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Psalm 121; Matthew 14:22-36


This is Matthew's second account of the disciples' being in trouble in a boat on the sea. The first account (8:23-27) ends with the disciples asking "What sort of man is this, that even the wind and waves obey him?" This second account ends with an answer to that question as they worship him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

Today I'm comforted knowing that Jesus rules over the storms in my life, over wind and waves, and doubt and fear. I'm encouraged by his words "Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid." And I'm strengthened by the reminder that he knows what's going on (he "made" me get into this boat, cf. v. 22), he sees me, he's coming, and his strong hand will save me. Indeed, that the Son of God comes for me, to comfort, encourage, and save - not just to watch as I'm overwhelmed and destroyed. I'm encouraged knowing that this "boat ride" is actually going somewhere, just where he intends. He not only sees, knows, cares, and saves, but he is with me on this journey (even when he seems absent for a time), and will be at each "port of call", especially the final stop. Thanks be to God.

Last November we heard a really good sermon on this by Kris MacDaniel at Trinity Vineyard Atlanta, where our son, Mark, and his wife, Monica, worship. You can find it at Trinity Vineyard Atlanta. It was on November 18, 2008. Or you could download it on a podcast from iTunes under "Trinity Vineyard Atlanta." Kris is a good preacher. I commend him to you.

This is all affirmed but the timeless, assuring words of Psalm 121. Note that "keep/keeper" has the idea of "guard/guardian".

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come?
2
My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.
3
He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.
4 Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand.
6 The sun shall not strike you by day,nor the moon by night.
7
The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.
8 The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore.

No comments: