20091102

Transfigration?

The Gospel reading for today's Daily Office reading is the parable of the weeds. In his explanation Jesus says that at the close of the age, the Son of Man will send his angels who will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin (scandalon) and all law-breakers, and
Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father.
(Matthew 13:43)
This reminded me of our recent discussion on the Transfiguration, as a part of which we also discussed 2 Corinthians 3:18 -
And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed [transfigured] into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.
And also of the last chapter of Daniel:
And those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky above; and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever. (Daniel 12:3)
Wow, kind of blows me away. Hard to think about. It's not about me, my reward, my shining, my having a secured place in the secure place. But remembering that the when Paul says, "beholding the glory of the Lord," it can also be translated as "reflecting the glory of the Lord," that helps me. Both the beholding and the reflecting. It is the glory of the Lord, the brilliant light that enlightens all, and will be the light of the new Jerusalem, that transforms me and us and all things.

Thanks be to God.


No comments: