20090319

in sins or in faith

Thursday, March 19, 2009

[If I haven't heard from you that you read this blog, or visit it, I'd like to hear from you. It's meaningful to me, and helpful, but I'm evaluating whether I'll keep doing it after Lent. I'd especially like to hear from Church of the Apostles people. Thanks. markjdicristina@yahoo.com]

Jer. 10:11-24; Rom. 5:12-21; John 8:21-32

I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins. (John 8:24)

There are only two options: to die in our sins, or to die believing in Jesus; to die in sin or in faith. Pretty simple.

I recently heard Dwight Pryor (Center for Judeo-Christian Studies) say this similarly. He was speaking on the Priestly Blessing from Numbers 6:22-27. He emphasized that one thing this blessing emphasizes is God's fundamental disposition to bless his people. As part of the talk he mentioned that indeed God is holy and just, and we will all die for our sins. The question is, on whose terms will we die?

Jesus points to his own death in this passage, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority, but speak just as the Father taught me" (v. 28).

We can look to him who was lifted up and believe (3:15), or we can look to ourselves and/or everything else we think might "save" us, or "justify" our lives. Paul uses the language of grace reigning or death reigning. When we believe that indeed Jesus came from God, is heaven's full provision for every person, when we look to him upon the cross, bearing our sins, bearing our Sin (the attitude, the inclination, the bentness in on ourselves), and exchanging that poison for the medicine of his grace and love, we move from death to grace, from "in our sins" to "in faith" or "in Christ," from slavery to freedom.

And again, Lent is all about this theme. Death and life. And reminding ourselves over and over, "by self-examination and repentance; by prayer, fasting, and self-denial; and by reading and meditating on God's holy word" (BCP, p. 265), that we still are quick to choose death, quick to choose destructive ways. So because this is life, because it is a life and not a static, impersonal deal, and because the body of death still clings so closely, Jesus immediately shares with them about remaining in this life, living this out, and growing strong in it:

So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (v. 31)

No comments: