20071024

Atonement

Thursday, Oct 25: Psalm 42, 43, Leviticus 8-9

We skipped chapters 2-7, which were descriptions of more sacrifices - Grain offerings, Peace offerings, Guilt offerings, Sin offerings, and how the priests were to offer them. Then as the priesthood is consecrated we hear of anointing oil, and water for washing, burnt offering, sin offering, a "wave offering", grain offering. A very detailed, complicated, liturgical process setting apart these men for their ministry.

"Draw near to the altar and offer your sin offering and your burnt offering and make atonement for yourself and for the people..." (9:7)

This is key to much of Leviticus, and to the ministry of the priesthood. Atonement. Sometimes understood as "at-one-ment". This will come up again for us. Just note for today that the priest needed atonement as well as the people. And God provides the way.

~~~~~~~~~

"Send out your light and your truth;
let them lead me;
let them bring me to your holy hill
and to your dwelling!
Then I will go to the altar of God,
to God my exceeding joy,
and I will praise you with the lyre,
O God, my God."

(Psalm 43:3)

No comments: